Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service
Safe and Well visits
A Safe and Well Visit is a free service that we provide to eligible residents.
Safe and Well visits are tailored to individual needs, relating to health and wellbeing, as well as fire risk reduction. A Safe and Well visit will take place in the home and can be arranged at a convenient time.
During the visit, we will:
- Ask a series of fire risk assessment questions.
- Check each room of your property to identify any potential hazards.
- Check that you have working smoke alarms on each level of your home and where appropriate, fit free ten-year smoke alarms.
- Provide fire safety advice and show you how to test your smoke alarms.
- Work with you to create an escape plan for you and your family.
- Provide advice, signpost or refer you to our partner agencies that can support you with health or wellbeing needs.
We have to prioritise each Safe and Well visit request received, therefore if you do not qualify for a visit by a representative of Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service, you will instead be provided with up to date guidance.
To qualify for this free Safe and Well visit, the resident must answer yes to at least one of the following:
- Aged 60 and over
- Have limited mobility
- Be an oxygen user
- Have a sensory need (hearing and/ or sight)
- Have a hoarded home
- Confined to the bed
- Have a learning disability
- Be living with a mental illness
- Have Dementia
- Use Dialysis
We will also consider you for a free Safe and Well Visit if you answer yes to any of the following:
- Have a drug or alcohol dependency
- Have emollient creams applied to your skin
- Have mental health needs
- Are a smoker
- Are living alone
- Have no smoke detection or have had a previous fire